Friday, March 8, 2019

Fr Patrick Etuk, MSP - Homily Friday, March 8, 2019

This, rather, is the fasting that I wish:
releasing those bound unjustly,
untying the thongs of the yoke;
Setting free the oppressed,
breaking every yoke;
Sharing your bread with the hungry,
sheltering the oppressed and the homeless;
Clothing the naked when you see them,
and not turning your back on your own. Is. 58:6ff

🗣Our fast must go beyond merely  starving our bodies of food and drink. It must aim at renouncing evil conduct in our dealings with one another. It is purifying our hearts of earthbound passions and desires that often gets in the way of doing God's will.  It is not living for ourselves anymore but for Christ. As Paul said, 'It is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me.'  It is not gratifying our sensual desires anymore but being eager to do the will of the Father, making it our daily food.  The goal of my fast should be to have in me the mind of Christ. To be meek and humble, eager to forgive and reconcile because I have renounced malice and vengefulness.  To be fair in my dealings with everyone because I have renounced greed and arogance. To come to the aid of those in need and never be indifferent to the plight of the lowly and afflicted, because I am no longer full of my self.

🙇‍♀Father, I can't do this on my own.  The spirit is willing but the flesh is often weak. I have a flesh that has a mind and will of its own. But nothing is impossible for you Lord. Make me willing and able to fast in a way that pleases you. Not my will but your will Father.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment