Friday, July 29, 2022

Fr. Augustine Inwang, MSP - Homily for The Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year C - July 31, 2022

Readings: Eccl. 1:2; 2:21-23; Col 3:1-5, 9-11; Lk 12:13-21

In His Riches, Man Lacks Wisdom!

1.    Today’s readings address the rich and those who pursue wealth as their only reason for existence. Vanity of vanities, all things are vanity. Vanity means the quality of being worthless or futile. A vain person is excessively proud of his admiration, appearance, and achievements. The Preacher, in the first reading, wants us to reflect on the futility, uselessness, pointlessness, and fruitlessness of life and the pursuit of wealth. Our labor is fruitless if our only purpose of existence is to amass wealth for ourselves alone. “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?” (Mk. 8:36). No matter how rich we may be and how contented our achievements may make us feel, we will, one day, leave it all to others. 

2.    The second reading, on the other hand, offers us a solution to a life of vanity. It encourages us to set our hearts on the next life where we hope to see God face to face. “If you were raised with Christ, seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Think of what is above; not what is on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ. When Christ your life appears, you will also appear with him in glory.” (Col. 3:1-4). We may be whatever we want and achieve whatever we dream, but we must not lose sight of the reason for our existence. The Penny Catechism reminds us that we were created to know, love, and serve God in this world and be happy with him in the next. Therefore, we must put immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed to death. We must stop lying and be sincere and honest in our dealings with others.

3.    Jesus addresses greed in today’s gospel. Greed has blinded many people and turned them into narcissistic, arrogant, selfish, haughty, conceited, self-important, opinionated, egotistic, and superior individuals. They are admirable only by themselves and their cronies while being despicable and intolerable to others. They only think of themselves. Everything is about them. I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods, and I shall say to myself, “Now as for youyou have so many good things stored up for many years; rest, eat, drink, be merry!” But Christ warns: “Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.” How much is enough for the rich? Why can’t they read the signs of the time and learn from the wisdom of Job? “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I shall return there.” (Job 1:21). How do we store up riches for ourselves to be rich in what matters to God? Christ tells us how, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.” (Mt. 6:19-21). We do this by sharing what we have with those who have not. We are only stewards of our wealth. In sharing what we have with others, we give to God, and our treasures are stored up in heaven. These readings affirm that we brought nothing into this world and will take nothing out of it. “Those who trust in their wealth and boast of the vastness of their riches should know that no man can buy his own ransom or pay the price to God for his life. He cannot buy life without end nor avoid coming to the grave. He knows that wise men and fools must both perish and leave their wealth to others.” (Ps. 49). 

4.    There is a story that captures the essence of today’s readings: Alexander the Great was the emperor of the ancient Greek kingdom of Macedon. He led many military campaigns and created one of the largest empires, stretching from Greek to India. Alexander did this all while he was about 30 years old. While on his death bed, he thought of the vast empire he had built, every spoil of war he captured, and the might of his military machine. He went into depression, realizing nothing was worth it; even after a highly successful life, he could not avoid death. He wanted to see his mother for the last time before he departed, but he knew he would not be able to do it and would soon pass away. So, he called his loyal Generals and made three last wishes before dying. I have three last wishes, please carry them out, for soon I will depart. My first wish is that my doctors should alone carry my coffin. My second wish is that the path towards my grave shall be strewn with gold, silver, and all the precious possessions in my treasury at the same time my body is being brought to be buried. My third and last wish is that both my hands shall be kept dangling out of my coffin.

5.    The Generals startled and asked Alexander about the strange wishes. Alexander told them; I want my doctors to carry my coffin to let all know that no doctor can cure anybody. They are powerless and cannot save a person from death. The strewn gold, silver, and other precious stones on the way to the graveyard let the people know that though I spent all my life accumulating riches, not even a grain of gold will come with me when I leave this world. When one yearns to be rich, it is a sheer waste of time, energy, and peace of mind. Having my hands dangling out of the coffin, I want people to know that I came empty-handed into this world and, likewise, will go empty-handed from this world.  Alexander taught the world that earthly possessions are not worth it, and one must not crave them. We came empty-handed and will die empty-handed. What else can I say! In his riches, man lacks wisdom; he is like the beasts that are destroyed. “If you were raised with Christ, seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.” 

Rev. Augustine Etemma Inwang, MSP

 

No comments:

Post a Comment